No, I ... I could never follow . . .
It's been two long years now, since the top of the world came crashing down ... and I'm getting it back on the road now ... but I'm taking the long way, taking the long way around. I'll just take my time, I won't lay down and take the long way around ... I fought with a stranger and I met myself, I opened my mouth and I heard myself. It can get pretty lonely when you show yourself, guess I could have made it easier on myself ... but I ... I could never follow. No I ... I could never follow ... I never seem to do it like anybody else. Maybe someday, someday I'm gonna settle down.
If you ever want to find me I can still be found ... taking the long way around. -the Dixie Chicks

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Saturday Perfomance of Korean Music & Dance

Saturday, July 21, 2007: National Center for Korean Traditional Performing Arts.






Getting to and around Seoul always seems to take more time than one alots. We made it to the theatre just in time and rushed in to the theatre right under the wire.





Unfortunately, photos were not allowed, although I did snap a photo of the curtain prior to the performance! Quickly followed by a visit from a woman telling me photos were not allowed (this of course is not by jesturing an "x" by crossing two pointer fingers. Opps, my bad!















Words can not describe the performance. The ornate musical instruments, the costumes, the steady movement of the performers, the incredible voices of the singers... incredible. The beauty of music is that it transcends language barriers, while we could not understand the language, we were given an brief history of each performance in English and then our imaginations took us on a journey with the music.

The instruments were incredible, very different from anything I had seen before, of course I have a limited musical instrument background so that might not be saying much! Many of which have Chineese roots, and I name a few here for interests sake. [the haegeum (two-stringed fiddle from China), geomungo (twelve-stringed zither), ajaeng (horizontal zither) , danso (small notched vertical flute), deageum (large transverse fluet)].
















The Yong-go. The instrument played during the Opening and Closing Cerimonies of the 1988 Seoul Olympic Games. it was designed by Park Kyun-Suk (1911-1989) who was later designated an Important Intangible Curtural Asset.






Token Jill shot!

I have more to "post" ... but I am exhausted. There was a lot of walking this weekend so I am going to take a nap.

I will continue ... soon!

No comments: